From Since Then To Now

I have been absent in my cyber life for various reasons. Three main ones, the loss of my Mother, being diagnosed with cancer;  developing a cataract in my left eye, glaucoma in my right eye. All three leading me to a lot of soul searching. Neither of them weakening my faith, to the contrary both validating my faith.

My Mother passed away on Mothers Day 2010, she had dementia. Two incidents occurred which strengthened my faith. The first about two weeks before she was admitted to hospital... One night I had finished putting her to bed and switched off the main light, and as I was leaving the room she said clearly and distinctly:

Good night Freddy. I love you”

It was the first time in years, she had addressed me by name.. As quickly the window to her mind opened it closed. In its opening I had something which I cherish very dearly.

The second incident happened on the day of her passing. I received a phone call from the hospital informing me of her death. After spending a few moments alone with her, I waited outside the door to a private ward waiting for my sister to arrive. Standing also in the passage was a young man looking weary and distraught. I went over and spoke to him. He told me he was from Ghana. His wife had contracted a tropical disease and went into a coma; he hadn't slept for three days. I asked him if I could pray with him. We went in and standing on either side of her, he took her right hand, I the left, taking each others' hands I started to pray. As I was praying I could feel her squeezing mine. I opened my eyes and saw he was experiencing it as well! He was also squeezing her hand in response to her squeezes. The tears streaming down his face. He told me afterwards it was the first reaction from her since she went into a coma! I found comfort and God's love like a blanket covering me.

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2015... I was not surprised as I had googled my symptoms: blood in the urine, amongst others. Still hearing this was a sobering experience. I learned long ago not to ask WHY, rather ask WHAT NOW and WHERE TO now? Not only for myself but also for family and friends. I was always the one to go to for encouragement and moral support and motivation - a real 'go to' person! I could only draw on my faith to be positive with family and friends! There is only one thing more infectious than a positive attitude, and that is a 'negative' attitude. Gods promise of 'never taking me to where His grace could not cover me', is where I drew my strength!

A year later I developed a cataract in my left eye with glaucoma in my right... Just to make life interesting: Won't you join me as we see what we can take with us from these reflections?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HIGHWAY MINISTRY

IN AN INSTANT

EXCESS BAGGAGE